This fruity festive granola makes the perfect Christmas-time breakfast or homemade present – transfer it to little jars and gift it to your friends and family.
Shop-bought granola, despite the healthy claims, can contain as much as 23g sugar (that’s like drinking a can of coke). And the best granolas sure are pricey. So, it’s far better and cheaper to make your own, we say.
This one contains protein, good fats and great carbohydrates – all the things that’ll set you up for the day and last you through till lunch.
Makes 6-8 portions
You will need:
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp honey, maple or brown rice syrup
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups (180g) jumbo oats
- 1/2 cup (70g) pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup (40g) pecans, roughly chopped
- Pinch sea salt
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cranberries (no added sugar)
- Heat your oven to 150°C/300°F/gas mark 2.
- Melt the coconut oil, then whisk while it’s still warm with the honey and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Stir in the oats, pistachios, pecans and sea salt and mix until everything is well combined and sticking together in little clumps.
- Spread the granola across a non-stick oven tray and bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown and crisp. You’ll need to mix it at least twice during baking so it cooks evenly. Cool, transfer to a bowl then stir in the orange zest and cranberries.
- Store in a dry, airtight container (jars are ideal) in a cool place for up to 5 days.
This recipe can easily be halved or doubled, depending on how much you need.
Serve with natural yoghurt and fresh berries and/or orange slices.
See more Breakfast recipes