Sure, festive food rocks, but sometimes we need something lighter and fresher as an antidote to all the rich, hearty, meat-heavy meals we consume at this time of year. So while everyone else is talking turkey, we’re obsessing about these bright, fresh and flavourful veggie tacos.
The creamy beans combined with a zesty sweetcorn salsa, fresh avocado and salty/sour feta, all loaded onto a warm corn tortilla – is something pretty amazing. And you can throw it together in no time as it hardly requires any cooking.
We love these any time of the day.
You will need:
- 1 can sweetcorn, drained
- Handful fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 fresh lime
- 1 bird’s eye chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 1 small onion, very finely chopped
- 1 can organic black beans or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 100ml quality chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 corn tortillas (check out the Cool Chile Company – its wraps are far superior to the big wheat-flour wraps typically found in the supermarket)
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- Crumbled feta to taste
- In a bowl, mix together the sweetcorn, coriander, juice of half a lime and the chilli and put to one side.
- Heat the oil in a warmed non-stick pan and stir fry the onion gently for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the can of beans and the stock, and fry for 10 minutes stirring frequently until the beans have softened and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove the pan from the heat, roughly mash most of the beans with a potato masher, then return to the heat for a further 2-3 minutes, stirring (add a little more stock if it gets too dry). Place the lid on the pan to keep warm.
- While the beans are finishing, heat a dry frying pan over a medium heat and warm the tortillas one at a time for 1 minute on each side until they’re just slightly crisp and little brown spots have formed.
- To serve, top each tortilla with a spoonful of the beans, then the sweetcorn salsa, avocado slices, crumbled feta, and extra lime juice/coriander/chilli to taste.
See more of our Main Meal recipes.