These fruity oaty slices featuring a layer of juicy berries in the middle are the perfect healthy sweet treat. You can also turn them into dessert by serving with a dollop of full fat natural yoghurt.
There are loads of ways you can vary these up too. Use your favourite nuts (or go without), try a mixture of berries or just stick to one, or try tasty add-ins such as cinnamon, vanilla or coconut. You can make it as simple or fancy as you like. We’ve listed some quantities for you in the notes below.
You will need:
- 100g (5 tbsp) coconut oil (We use Lucy Bee)
- 4-6 tbsp* honey or brown rice syrup
- 225g oats
- 25g mixed seeds/chopped nuts of your choice
- Pinch sea salt
- 200g berries of your choice (we used a mix of blueberries, raspberries and blackberries)
- 1 apple, grated
- Half lemon
- Grease a square baking tray that’s roughly 2 inches deep and heat the oven to 180°C/360°F/gas 4.
- Melt the coconut oil and 2-3 tbsp of the honey in a medium pan over a gentle heat, then remove from the hob and stir in the oats, seeds/nuts and salt until well combined.
- In a bowl, mix together the berries, grated apple, the juice of half a lemon, and 1-2 tbsp of honey. Put to one side.
- Place 2/3 the oat mixture into the baking tray, pressing down well (this will help it hold together after baking). Then spoon the berry mixture evenly over the top. Finally spoon over the remaining oat mixture, pressing down a little.
- Bake for 20-25 mins until golden brown.
Store in a sealed container in the fridge to keep the bars nice and firm, for up to 5 days. They’ll freeze well too, for up to 3 months.
*We’ve given a range of honey quantities depending on how sweet you like your treats.
Choose any nuts or seeds you like. You can use both. Or to make these nut-free, just up the oats by 25g.
Add a couple of tbsps desiccated coconut.
Add 1 tsp cinnamon to the fruit mix.
Add 1 tsp natural vanilla flavouring to the fruit mix.
See more Sweet Treat recipes