We don’t want to oversell this, but this might be one of our favourite breakfast creations ever. Part baked oatmeal (porridge), part carrot cake – this is the way to start the morning.
Make this in advance – it’s really easy – and keep it in the fridge ready to serve up with yoghurt and fresh fruit for a quick breakfast. It’s our new porridge or granola right now.
Makes 6 portions
You will need:
- 2 cups (180g) oats (jumbo are best)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Large pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (240ml) milk of choice
- 1 tsp natural vanilla
- 1 cup (125g) carrot, grated
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or honey)
- 1/2 cup (70g) walnuts, roughly chopped
- 6/7 dates, stoned and chopped (or a handful of raisins)
- Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4 and grease a non-stick baking tray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oats, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, grated carrot and maple syrup.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mix to combine, then stir in the walnuts and dates.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the top is golden brown and the mixture is coming away from the sides of the tin.
This will keep in the fridge, covered, for 4-5 days.
We find this recipe sweet enough with the dates and carrot and just 1 tbsp maple syrup, but you could add 1 extra tbsp if you like.
If you have them, throw in some extra pumpkin seeds – they’re great in this.
Coconut is delicious with the flavours in this. Experiment by adding some dessicated coconut to the dry mixture, or replacing some of the milk with coconut milk. You could also serve with coconut yoghurt instead of Greek yoghurt.
See more Breakfast recipes