This one’s for all the peanut butter lovers out there…
As cookies go, these are the best of both kinds – soft in the middle and crispy on top, with plenty of crunchy bits in between.
A healthy way to curb sweet cravings, they can be used with a variety of nuts. Just choose your favourites and follow our formula below.
Use the best peanut butter you can find for these – one that’s only made with peanuts and a pinch of sea salt.
Makes 8 cookies
You will need:
- 1/2 cup (60g) pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts or almonds – ground into a powder (we used walnuts)
- 1/3 cup (40g) spelt flour
- 2 tbsp nuts (any of the above, or unsalted peanuts), roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp natural vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp smooth, natural peanut butter* (we use Meridian peanut butter)
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1/3 cup (60ml) milk
- 1 heaped tbsp good quality raisins (optional)
- Topping – 1 tbsp chopped peanuts, sesame seeds, dessicated coconut or any of the above nuts, chopped (we used coconut)
*If your peanut butter doesn’t contain any salt, add a pinch at stage 2 below.
- Heat the oven to 165c and grease or line a baking tray.
- Put the ground nuts, flour, chopped nuts, vanilla, cinnamon, peanut butter, honey, milk and raisins (if using) into a large bowl and beat well until the mixture holds together and starts to firm – it will be quite sticky.
- Spoon teaspoons of the mixture onto the baking tray and flatten slightly. Sprinkle with your chosen topping.
- Bake for 25-30 mins until golden brown. If you like your cookies crunchier, bake them for around 35 minutes. Allow to cool on the baking tray for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
See more Sweet Treat recipes