Smoothies are a convenient way to get a load of vitamins and minerals into your body in one hit. Don’t stop at fruit – try veg too. Spinach is a good one as it blitzes up well and won’t alter the taste. Cucumber works well too, but our fave at the moment is beetroot. Combined with sweet banana and berries it gives this smoothie an amazing earthy taste and turns it pretty pink. We’re using the cooked, vacuum-packed stuff – just make sure it’s plain beetroot – not one soaked in vinegar…
The cashew nuts add creaminess, protein and essential fats. We’ve also added some oats, protein powder and flaxseed for added oomph (perfect for breakfast). But they can be omitted.
Makes 1 smoothie
You will need:
- 1 peeled, cooked beetroot (around 75g)
- Half a large banana (around 65g) – preferably frozen
- Large handful blueberries
- 1 tbsp cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp live, natural yogurt
- 75ml milk of choice (try almond or soya)
- 3/4 cubes of ice
- 2 tbsp oats (optional)
- 1 tsp flaxseed (optional)
- Half scoop (15g) pure, unflavoured whey protein isolate or plant protein powder (optional)
Simply blitz everything together and serve straight away in a tall glass.
See more Smoothie recipes