This is one easy, healthy breakfast recipe – it literally makes itself while you sleep! Just soak oats in milk and yoghurt before you go to bed and by morning, breakfast is ready. Kids will go crazy for this too…
The beauty of this recipe is that it’s practically impossible to mess up. Any type of milk will work, you can use less yoghurt/more milk, add extra fruit (try grated apple), nut butters… Play around till you find your perfect formula. This is ours. The sultanas will swell and soften as they soak, giving juicy little pockets of sweetness. The orange adds fragrance, and the seeds give chewiness, which we like in contrast to the soft oats.
Did you know that soaked oats are better oats? The soaking is said to make oats more easily digested, which is especially good for anyone who finds them hard to tolerate. Oats also release their energy slowly, which is why we rate this recipe for kids.
Makes 2 servings (can be easily halved, doubled, quadrupled, as needed)
You will need:
- 1/2 banana
- 100g full fat natural/Greek yoghurt
- 5 tbsp milk or water
- 50g oats
- 1 tsp sultanas
- Good sprinkle of mixed seeds
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Zest 1 orange
- Mash the banana in a bowl, then stir in the yoghurt and milk. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Store covered in the fridge overnight.
- Serve the next morning on its own or with your choice of fruit and/or nut butter.
- If the overnight oats are too thick in the morning, stir in a little milk to thin.
- Earn extra veggie points by adding a grated carrot or courgette to the mix.
- Replace the banana with grated apple.
- Try topping with extra fruit and/or your favourite nut butter.
See more Breakfast recipes