We’ve been eyeing up egg cups on Instagram for a while. A frittata/savoury muffin hybrid, with an infinite number of fillings, we loved the idea of them even before we got round to making them ourselves.
Now we’ve, erm, cracked them, we can’t get enough. A complete breakfast or snack in one handheld, portable, savoury eggy package. Keep them in the fridge, freeze them for later or take them to work – they’re the ultimate, healthy convenience food.
Here’s our take on them. Packed with vegetables (they’re a good way to use up leftover veg), and the smoked salmon adds great flavour, but we reckon you could replace it with feta or goat’s cheese if you wanted.
The recipe is easily doubled if you’re feeding a few.
Makes 6 cups
You will need:
- 2 cups cooked vegetables, finely chopped (we used stir-fried red onion, kale and broccoli)
- 1/3 cup smoked salmon, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 whole, large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4 and grease a deep muffin tray.
- Add all the ingredients to a large mixing bowl and whisk everything together until combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a jug to make it easier for pouring, then pour/spoon the mixture into the muffin tray, dividing evenly between the holes.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown on top and cooked through.
See more Healthy Breakfast Recipes