We’re always coming up with new ways to pimp our porridge. And with berries is how we’re doing it this week. Combined with creamy Greek yogurt, this is like dessert dressed up as breakfast. Which is exactly why we love it.
Berries contain so many powerful antioxidants. We always keep a bag of frozen fruit in our freezer (a cheap way to buy berries), thawed for porridge, or straight for the freezer and into smoothies.
The addition of egg white in a porridge recipe might seem strange, but trust us on this – it adds a light, fluffy texture – as well as extra protein to keep you fuller for longer. And it won’t make the porridge taste remotely eggy.
You will need:
- 40g oats
- 175ml quality almond, oat, brown rice or other non-dairy milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg white (optional)
- 1 tbsp o% fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp mixed berries (we used fresh blueberries and thawed black forest fruits – blackberries, raspberries, black cherries, blackcurrants and redcurrants)
- 1/3 banana, sliced
- 1 tsp agave syrup, honey or maple syrup
- Place the oats, milk and cinnamon in a pan and set over a low heat. Cook gently, stirring from time to time, until the porridge has thickened and the milk has been absorbed by the oats (about 5 minutes).
- Just before the end of cooking, whisk in the egg white (if using), stirring for about 20 seconds to cook through.
- Serve the porridge topped with the yogurt, berries, banana slices and sweetener.