Here’s our tried and tested sweetcorn fritter recipe – one of our failsafe, meat-free recipes, which we love for breakfast, lunch or dinner. They’re great hot or cold (they make a good fridge snack) and the number of ways you can serve them are infinite.
You’ll notice that we blend half the sweetcorn and keep half whole, which we find results in the best texture. But you can skip the blending step if you want and just stir everything together, for a chunkier, quicker fritter.
You will need:
- 300g (2 cups) sweetcorn kernels
- 1 egg
- 150g (1 1/4 cups) oats, ground into a flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 spring onions
- 1 red chilli (optional)
- Small handful coriander (optional)
- Large pinch each of sea salt and black pepper
- 1 small courgette, grated
- Coconut or olive oil for frying
- Blitz half the sweetcorn with the egg, flour, baking powder, spring onions, chilli, coriander and salt and pepper.
- Squeeze the excess water out of the grated courgette with your hands, then stir the dry courgette into the fritter mixture along with the remaining sweetcorn.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a non-stick frying pan over a moderate heat. Drop tablespoons of the mixture into the pan, flatten with a spatula, and cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Flip and cook the other side until browned and cooked through.
- Repeat for the remaining fritters, adding more oil if necessary.
Serve with guacamole, salad, a poached egg, halloumi, tomato salsa or sour cream – the number of toppings that work with this are endless!
See more Main Meal recipes