Continuing in our quest to encourage better breakfasts, here’s one that meets all the criteria: delicious, easy, cheap, sets you up for the day, and can be made ahead.
This is like a baked porridge studded with sweet, squidgy berries, with eggs to bind everything together giving an almost cakey texture. You can eat it warm, cold, with natural yoghurt, extra fruit, nut butters – make it yours.
We’ve added sends for crunch but they’re optional. Make it with your milk and oats of choice to suit your dietary needs or whatever’s in your kitchen.
Makes approx 6 portions
You will need:
- 180g (2 cups) oats
- 50g (1/2 cup) desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp baking powder
- large pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- 240ml (1 cup) milk of choice
- 1 tsp natural vanilla flavouring
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or honey)
- 125g (1 cup) mixed berries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tbsp seeds (we used mixed seeds) (optional)
- Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4 and grease a non-stick, oven dish that’s approx 20cm x 20cm and at least 1 inch deep.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oats, coconut, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla and maple syrup.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mix to combine, then stir in the mixed berries and seeds if using.
- Bake for 25-30 mins until the top is golden brown and the mixture is coming away from the sides of the tin.
See we more Breakfast Recipe ideas