If you’ve not tried ‘banana ice cream’ or ‘nice cream’, we urge you to get involved. It’s GENIUS.
Quite simply, it’s just frozen banana, blended. But trust us when we say that it’s better than it sounds. The texture it creates is soft, thick, and totally ice cream-like. And somehow it’s not even that banana-y – it’s just awesome.
It’s this kind of recipe which proves how delicious, cheap, easy and satisfying healthy eating can be. And it’s a good way to use up brown bananas. There’s nothing not to love about this.
A few notes on nice cream. Your bananas need to be really ripe when you freeze them. Frozen bananas lose their sweetness a little so you want them to be as sweet as possible at the time of freezing. Then freeze them flat, in coins (in freezer bags or containers), to make blending easier.
The addition of vanilla makes the flavour more like that of real ice cream but it’s good without it. There are so many ways to vary this recipe, but we like it best with a spoonful of natural, salted peanut butter. Try adding a medjool date or a little maple syrup for extra sweetness.
Makes 1 serving
You will need:
- 1 large, very ripe banana, frozen in coins
- A little milk of your choice (just enough to loosen the mixture – around 30ml, or about 3 tbsp)
- 1 tsp natural, salted peanut butter (we use Meridian) OR pinch fine sea salt
- Seeds from half a vanilla pod/half tsp 100% vanilla powder
- 1 tsp maple syrup, honey or brown rice syrup
- 1-2 medjool dates
- 1 tbsp cacao/100% cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cacao nibs, to sprinkle on top
- 1 tbsp chopped nuts (try hazelnuts, almonds, pecans – toasted), to sprinkle on top
- Break up the banana pieces and place them in a small blender or food processor with the milk and any other ingredients you’re using and blitz until smooth and creamy. You might need to scrape down the sides as you go to make sure it’s blended evenly – although a few chunks are nice in our opinion. Add a little extra milk if it’s not blending properly.
- Serve straight away with a topping of your choice.
See more Sweet Treat recipes