Did you know you can make a kind of granola on your stove top instead of baking it in the oven? It’s great for when you want a quicker breakfast or a smaller serving. It takes about 8 mins to make, and even doubles up as dessert…
The recipe is totally customisable, so swap in any nuts or raisins you like, or add in flavours like cinnamon or vanilla to make it yours.
Here’s how we do it – plus our blueberry compote to go with it!
Makes 2 portions
You will need:
For the blueberry compote
- 125g (1 cup) blueberries
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
- Good squeeze lemon juice
- Natural yogurt to serve
For the granola
- 90g (1 cup) oats
- 50g (1/2 cup) desiccated or flaked coconut
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp almonds or pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- Pinch sea salt
- Place the blueberries, honey, lemon juice and 1 tbsp water in a saucepan and set over a gentle heat. Stir from time to time and let the mixture bubble until the blueberries have softened and you’re left with a thickened, syrupy compote.
- While the berries are simmering, set a large frying pan over a moderate flame, and when the pan’s heated, add the oats, coconut, seeds and nuts, and dry roast for 4-5 mins, stirring frequently until the nuts are releasing their aroma and the coconut is lightly toasted.
- Make a hole in the middle, then add the coconut oil and honey. Let it melt, then stir everything back in, add a pinch of salt and give it a good mix. Cook for a few extra minutes, stirring frequently, until browned.
- Let the granola cool (we like it warm, but you can let it cool completely if you prefer) then layer it into jars or bowls with the blueberry compote and natual yogurt.
See more Breakfast recipe ideas