We’re so inspired by all the other amazing food blogs out there and were so darn happy the day we discovered there was a way of making chocolate mousse HEALTHY, yet still utterly delicious. Since this revelation, our own chocolate mousse creation has become our sweet saviour on many an after-dinner (or breakfast) occasion.
People are always surprised when we tell them the main ingredient in this recipe is avocado. It’s seriously clever. You can’t taste the avocado but the texture it creates is creamy, silky, velvety, and, well… chocolate pudding-y. It also adds richness and of course, amazing health benefits.
You will need:
- 1 medium, ripe avocado
- 1 small frozen, ripe, banana (NB freeze ripe bananas in chunks to make them easier for blending)
- 4 tbsp cacao or 100% cocoa powder
- 2 tsp quality, salted almond or peanut butter (we recommend Meridian)
- 3 tbsp milk of choice
- 1-2 tsp maple syrup to sweeten (optional)
- Cacao nibs and/or chopped almonds/hazelnuts to serve
- Place the avocado, banana, cacao/cocoa powder, nut butter and milk in a blender and blitz until smooth. Taste and add the maple syrup if you’d like it sweeter.
- Serve in small dishes with a sprinkling of cacao nibs and/or chopped nuts.
Freeze bananas when they’re brown and at their sweetest. If they’re not super ripe, then you’ll probably want to add the maple syrup.
Other add-ins: Vanilla, coffee beans, or a spoonful of hemp protein powder.
See more Sweet treat recipes