That time between meals when you need something healthy to keep you going… These easy savoury muffins are the answer. They’re actually a cross between an egg cup and a muffin – so not as heavy as a muffin – they’re light and fluffy, but a little flour gives them some substance and keeps us full.
We added loads of leftover veg to these and gave them a Tex-Mex vibe with some chipotle paste and coriander (which works nicely with the corn and feta) – but play around with the ingredients – or use up your leftovers – just keep the quantities the same.
Makes 8 muffins
You will need:
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup green veg, cooked (or fresh spinach leaves)
- 1/3 cup cooked peppers, diced
- 1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup fresh cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/3 cup organic sweetcorn
- Handful coriander, chopped
- Heaped tsp chipotle paste (or 1 fresh chilli, finely chopped)
- Heat oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4 and grease an 8-hole muffin tray.
- Place all of the ingredients in a large bowl, season well with sea salt and black pepper, and whisk until well incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the muffin tray then bake in the oven for 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool in the tray a little to firm, before removing.
Make these transportable by lining each hole of the muffin tray with a square of baking paper before cooking.
Serve hot or cold with fresh avocado or guacomole.
See more Healthy snacks recipes