Porridge is one our favourite breakfast options – especially in colder months. Hearty, filling, warming, nutritious and there are endless possibilities when it comes to flavour combinations. This is the one we turn to most. The dates give it a rich, caramely taste and natural sweetness – as do the bananas – while the nuts and seeds add protein, good fats and amazing crunch. We prefer organic, jumbo oats for their firm, chunky texture, but any oats will do.
You will need:
- 40g organic, jumbo porridge oats
- 175ml organic almond, soya, oat or brown rice milk
- 1 Medjool date, chopped into small pieces
- 1/3 banana, chopped into small pieces
- 1 heaped tsp mixed nuts and seeds, chopped
- Drizzle honey or maple syrup, optional
- Place the oats, milk and dates in a non-stick pan and set over a low-medium heat.
- Stir from time to time until the milk has been absorbed and porridge has reached your desired consistency – around 4 minutes. NB you can always add a little milk at the end if it becomes too thick.
- Top the hot porridge with the banana chunks, mixed nuts and seeds and serve with a drizzle of honey/maple syrup if you like it a little sweeter.
Dates – Medjools are the fattest and squidgiest type of dates around – they’re like great big toffees – and they have the sweetest, toffee-like flavour. If we don’t have Medjools, we’ll use any other type of date we can find – as long as it doesn’t contain palm oil or have glucose syrup (sugar) added – or try organic sultanas.